Back to Main Page
Dwarven Kingdoms of the North
Ammarindar (-4100 to 882 DR)
Sign: 3-Horned crown with a 4-pointed star above each point of the crown. Can be found on some trails or tunnels in the Greypeak Mountains.
Features: Hellgate Keep (Ascalhorn)
Treasure: Known for Everbright Adamantine blue-silver Full Plate with a barbed, horned, and/or ridged design. Much was plundered or kept in Hellgate Keep.
Notes: Ammarindar was abandoned in such haste that cartloads of treasure were left behind. Among the riches were coins and gems, metal-work of all sorts, and armor and weaponry of beauty and the highest quality.
|-4160||Ammarindar, a shield dwarf settlement, is established under the Greypeak Mountains.|
|-4100||The Kingdom of Ammarindar founded.|
|149||Dwarves of Ammarindar led by Iirikos Stoneshoulder build a stone bridge across the River Shining at the site of present-day Loudwater.|
|882||Ammarindar falls when Ascalhorn becomes Hellgate Keep. Hordes of orcs and demons of Hellgate Keep sweep Ammarindar away along with the elven kingdom of Earlann.|
|1220||Demons of Hellgate Keep appropriate subterranean tunnels, and underdark regions below former Ammarindar, driving out drow and beholders and establishing a network of outposts throughout that region of the Underdark.|
Besilmer (-4420 to -4160 DR)
Sign: Wheel over a plow. Can be found on rocks at Ironford, the Stone Bridge, and the Sumber Hills (the hills south of the Stone Bridge).
Features: Stone Bridge, Halls of the Hunting Axe
Treasure: Much was said to be buried hastily by fleeing dwarves when the kingdom fell. Treasures may lie near the Halls of the Hunting Axe or the Sumber Hills.
Notes: This realm’s name and history is forgotten even by most dwarves. Founded by dwarves under Torhild Flametongue. They worked to inhabit the surface lands, and move away from the constant warring in the mountains against orcs and giants. The unfortified realm was an easy target, and eventually was overrun by constant attacks and raids.
|-4420||Besilmer, a pale shadow of High Shanatar in the south, is founded.|
|-4160||The dwarven realm of Besilmer falls after attacks by giants and humanoids.|
Delzoun (-3900 to -100 DR)
Sign: Double-headed horizontal hammer in a triangle of 3 cut gems. Found markers are typically mutilated by orcs or other deviants, with the gems missing.
Features: Citadel Adbar, The Citadel of Many Arrows (Citadel Felbarr)
Ruins: Eannore, Nalduum
Treasure: Standard dwarven spoils. Most found in the ruins of abandoned forts and strongholds. It is said that a runestone lies in the ruins of Delzoun that gives clues to the location of the Hammer of Thunderbolts, a weapon once used in the Battle of the Drowning of Lornak.
Notes: The famous Northkingdom of the dwarves, perhaps the pinnacle of dwarven power. Now is largely wilderlands, fought over by dwarven patrols and orc raiders.
|-3900||Delzoun, the great Northkingdom of the dwarves, is founded beneath what is now known as the Silver Marches.|
|-3458||The Netherese discover the shield dwarves of Delzoun.|
|-1900||Citadel Felbarr is completed.|
|-1715||Tzindylspar, the City of Rubies, is founded by the dwarves of Delzoun and some Netherese emigrants.|
|-500||Citadel Sundbarr is constructed by the dwarves of Delzoun.|
|-370||Around this year, work begins on Citadel Adbar, since the Narrow Sea’s destruction by phaerimm life-drain magic leaves Delzoun’s eastern front exposed.|
|-335||Construction of Gauntlgrym, the capital of Delzoun, is begun.|
|-321||The dwarves of Delzoun complete Gauntlgrym.|
|-111||The Orc Marches: The entire North erupts as great orc hordes stream south from the Spine of the World and the Ice Mountains to lay waste to all in their path. Illusk and Gauntlgrym fall to this onslaught, and Delzoun is devastated by countless orc assaults. Most of Illusk’s population manages to escape by sea or by magic and is spared. The elves of Iliyanbruen, Rilithar, Siluvanede, and Eaerlann unite to shatter the strength of the orcs and halt their rampage south into the High Forest and Dessarin Valley.|
|-104||Besendar’s Blockhouse is abandoned by the dwarves of Delzoun in the face of countless orc raids|
|-100||Delzoun falls to the phaerimm and other dangers. The surface elements survive the fall, such as Citadel Adbar, Citadel Felbarr, Mithral Hall, and Sundabar, but the underground settlements do not.|
The Fallen Kingdom [Phalorm – The Realm of Three Crowns] (523 to 615 DR)
Sign: Circle around three side-on spired crowns. Typically found on toppled, overgrown way markers around the edges of the High Moor.
Features: House of Stone, Illefarn Mountain, The Ghost Dwarves
Treasure: Much is rumored to be in the abundantly trapped House of Stone.
- A kingdom uniting dwarves, elves, and humans. Had three kings; one to represent each race of the alliance.
- Illefarn Mountain was an important metal-mine and stone quarry. It was the seat of King Devin, and is reported to currently be a very dangerous place.
|523||Founded at the Council of Axe and Arrow, a council to deal with the growing orc problem in the area. Dwarves from Dardath, elves from the Ardeep Forest, gnomes from Dolblunde, halflings from Mieritin and humans from Delimbiyran collectively agreed to form a kingdom.|
|528||Phalorm’s armies slaughter the Howltusk orc horde at the House of Stone, but their human King Javilarhh “the Dark” Snowsword is slain.|
|557||An army of hobgoblins devastates the dwarven Duchy of Hunnabar, which is centered above the underground city of Kanaglym near present-day Dragonspear Castle. Phalorm’s armies destroy the hobgoblins, but the elf king, Ruardh Lightshiver, is slain.|
|568||The armies of Phalorm defend the neighboring realm of Yarlith from attacks by orcs led by the frost giant Horthgar.|
|579||Torghatar, Phalorm’s dwarf king, falls to duergar assassins near present-day Ironford.|
|592||Troll forces attack southwestern Phalorm. The dwarves abandon the Duchy of Hunnabar and relocate to the northern Duchy of Dardath.|
|604||The armies of Phalorm drive off an orc horde that besieges Secomber. Ellatharion, Phalorm’s elf king, leads an army of elves and halflings into the High Forest in pursuit of the orcs, and neither king nor army returns.|
|612||The armies of Phalorm and their allies in the North crush the Everhorde south of Triboar, but their victory comes at the cost of many lives. The casualties include Lathlaeril “Leafspear,” the elf king.|
|614||Two orc hordes attack Phalorm, a realm that has already been gravely weakened by the Everhorde. The dwarf king Oskilar dies in battle with the second horde, and Dolblunde is sacked and pillaged. Phalorm’s northern armies, still mopping up the remnants of the Everhorde, move south to defend the realm but are driven into Uthtower.|
|615||Kingdom destroyed by a large goblinoid horde now known as the Horde of the Wastes.|
Gharraghar (-4819 to -3611 DR)
Sign: Four vertical, diamond-shaped gems in a triangle with the largest gem in the center. Can be seen on markers that still flank the Mirar trade road.
Features: Mirabar, Vale of Khedrun, Khedvallahir, Barakmornolor (The Spine of the World)
Ruins: Daerg, Radrunndar
Treasure: Ancient dwarven crafts. Nothing substantial yet found, but some may lie in ruins.
- An ancient dwarven kingdom; one of the oldest in all of Faerun. Many rich mines in the mountains of this region.
- The Vale of Khedrun is named for a dwarven hero who first secured a foothold on the surface of the northlands. The valley runs NE to a high meadow, Khedvallahir, in the Spine of the World. Barakmornolor is the ancient name for the Spine of the World mountains.
- Had two large surface fortresses: Orlgaunt, and Halanaskarr. Orlgaunt stood where the Blackraven joins the Mirar, and Halanaskarr stood just south of the Lurkwood, at the headwaters of Shining Creek. Both are now overgrown, water-filled cellars carved out of solid bedrock. No treasure has been found in the ruins as of yet.
|-4819||Gharraghar is founded near modern Mirabar.|
|626||Prince Ereskas of Amn founds the settlement of Mirabar over the ancient dwarven capital of Gharraghaur.|
|753||The Goblin Wars begin when goblin hordes streaming out of the Valley of Khedrun overrun and plunder Mirabar. The goblins are eventually defeated by the might of several Uthgardt tribes and the efforts of the Covenant.|
|812||Illusk and its defenses are rebuilt. Trade from the mines of Mirabar brings prosperity to Illusk and Stornanter.|
|1023||Grand Prince Galnorn of Illusk fails to conquer Mirabar.|
|1276||Duergar from Gracklstugh establish an outpost beneath Illusk to probe the underground defenses of Mirabar.|
Ironstar (? to ? DR)
Sign: Four-pointed white star atop a rugged black iron anvil.
Features: Ironstar Mountain, and its sister peaks the Northlook and Wyrmtongue mountains
Treasure: Mostly arms and armor, many magical. All crafts found are of great quality. Ironstar (darksteel) maces are said to shatter armor at a blow.
- This kingdom’s smith-craft was matchless, and its people industrious. The Ironstar Masters were famous for mastering the art of instilling magic in items better than any previous dwarven smiths.
- Ironstar, Northlook, and Wyrmtongue mountains are the three most southerly peaks of the range of mountains just north of the River Surbrin.
- The last remnants of the Ironstars fled with their aging king to eventually join the Fallen Kingdom. The aging king took his last stand in defense of his people atop the Stone Bridge.
Oghrann (? to ? DR)
Sign: Curved hunting horn, open end to the left, with a six-pointed star both above and beneath it. Can be found in deep caverns in the Sunset Mountains, or passes in the Stormhorn mountains such as Dark Wind Pass.
Features: Hill of Lost Souls, The Far Hills
Treasure: Standard dwarven spoils. Most found in the ruins of abandoned dwarfholds.
- This realm was founded by the mighty warrior Thordbard Firebeard, and lay in what is now the Plain of Tun, and the surrounding mountain ranges. The mountains that surrounded the region (the Stormhorns, Sunset Mountains, Far Hills, and Easting Peaks) were known at the time collectively as ‘ol Araubarak: the Great Shield.
- The realm’s very existence is forgotten even by most dwarven elders. The realm was swept away by disease and war with lizard men, wemics, goblin-kin, trolls, and nomadic human tribes long ago.
- The last remnants of the dwarves of Oghrann dwell in the Far Hills, and number some 7000 in all. They reside in three large caverns called ‘wells’ due to their conical shape.
Dwarves in the North Today
|Bloodstone Village||880 dwarves (out of 7,600, almost all human)|
|Citadel Adbar||Dwarven rule under King Tharbromm; 14,360 dwarves|
|Fireshear||7,900 dwarves (out of 15,400, the rest mainly human)|
|Helioga balus||5,100 dwarves (out of 26,460, mainly human)|
|Ironmaster||Dwarven rule under Lord Clanmaster Strogue Sstar (LG F9); 9,200 dwarves|
|Ironspur||Dwarven rule under High Iron Duke Murnaros (LN F11); 3,890 dwarves (out of 4,700, the rest human)|
|Llorkh||300 dwarves (out of 2,400, almost all humans)|
|Mirabar||4,100 dwarves (out of 23,700, the remainder human)|
|Mulptan||2,030 dwarves (out of 6,900, the remainder human)|
|Neverwinter||4,600 dwarves (out of 17,990, the rest mostly human)|
|Praka||2,020 dwarves (out of 11,790, the remainder mainly human)|
|Silverymoon||4,200 dwarves (out of 29,990, of all demi-human races and humans)|
|Sundabar||6,600 dwarves (out of 36,000, the remainder mainly human)|
|Tomrav||210 dwarves (out of 470, the rest humans and half-orcs)|
|Trailsend||2,100 dwarves (out of 8,280, the rest mainly human)|
|Virdin||360 dwarves (out of 1,520, the remainder mainly human)|
|Waterdeep||7,100 dwarves (out of 149,890, of all races, mainly human; permanent residents only – summertime rise to 8,600 out of 509,000+)|
Sign: Upright single-bladed hand axe enclosed by a circle of flames on a silver field.
Leadership: King Tharbromm(? – ?), King Harbromm (? – ?)
Other Notes: Trade road runs from the citadel southward to the Fork. Trade road is made of fitted stone blocks. At the Fork, road splits east to Ascore, and west to Sundabar. There was once a mansion of the dwarven hero Ghaurin near the fork, but no stone remains of the structure, and the cellar-caverns are hidden by the land.
Citadel Felbarr (Citadel of Many-Arrows)
Leadership: King Obould (orc, ? – ? DR), Emerus Warcrown (dwarf, 1367 – ? DR)
Size: Large Town (originally over 25,000 dwarves) / Small City, pop. 6,987 (1372 DR)
Other Notes: The badge of office for the King of Citadel Felbarr is a a simple golden crown adorned with three large sapphires.
|-1900||Citadel Felbarr is completed.|
|1054||The dwarves abandon Citadel Felbarr. The humans of Silverymoon quickly take advantage of this massive citadel and garrison it with over 3,000 troops.|
|1104||The citadel falls into Orc hands after a battle lasting many months known as the Battle of Many Arrows. Orcs rename Felbarr as the Citadel of Many Arrows.|
Other Notes: ?
Other Notes: ?
|-4819||Gharraghar is founded near modern Mirabar.|
Other Notes: ?
|1269||The half-orc bandit lord Thaurog builds Thaurog’s Keep on the site of what is now Nesmé.|
|1294||Throgh, son of Thaurog, is slain by human adventurers out of Waterdeep. They in turn are attacked by wyverns, which thereafter claim Thaurog’s Keep for their lair.|
|1307||Algraetha the Enchantress slaughters the resident wyverns of Thaurog’s Keep and rebuilds the settlement, which becomes known as Nesmé.|
Other Notes: ?
|-500||Citadel Sundbarr is constructed by the dwarves of Delzoun. Like Citadel Adbar to the north, the citadel is mostly subterranean, with only a few structures on the surface.|
Other Notes: ?
|523||Ulbaerag Bloodhand of Bloodhand Hold (later Waterdeep) rejected the opportunity to join the kingdom, but this decision was reversed later by his son.|
|1030||Under War Lord Rhaulor, Waterdeep’s navy and standing army reaches its largest size since the Trollwars and the fall of Phalorm.|
Details: Named after the human hero Auvan Arlandspyr, this village is located on the Silverymoon to Sundabar (Road) where the road descends out of Silverymoon Pass. The town clusters around an old, dwarf built, Delzoun watchtower
Other Notes: ?
The Dungeon of Death
The Dungeon of the Ruins
- Held the town of Baffenburg.
- Baffenburg was a large town in what is now the Fell Pass around -335 DR. Baffenburg’s residents were both orcs and dwarves and they had lived together in peace for many years, even merging their languages.
- It seems as if Baffenburg was originally a surface outpost of Delzoun, much like Citadel Felbarr, Citadel Sundabar and Citadel Adbar. Then the orcs living in the surrounding region came to live there, held in check by a single orc wizard-chieftain named Bowug Kr’kri who was then murdered by his followers, causing a period of unrest.
- Over the years the periods of unrest waxed and waned but got better and the two communities lived together for at least two centuries before an unknown catastrophe melted the permafrost beneath it and made it sink into the ground. This catastrophe likely involved a thinning of the planar borders as overgrown ethereal marauders and creatures from the Plane of Shadow now inhabit the ruins.
- Gauntlgrym was an ancient dwarven city that fell into ruin before the memory of any living dwarves. The city was the capital of Delzoun. Via the Underdark, Gauntlgrym connects with Deepearth, Nuur Throth, a long and treacherous tunnel to the Great Worm Caverns and an even longer tunnel to Shadowdale. Its location was lost for centuries, alleged to be north of the River Dessarin, near the valley of Khedrun in the Savage Frontier, though it was actually much farther to the southwest.
- The city was built on a huge scale, with many doorways constructed at a size that would allow even dragons to pass through. Doorways were constructed from iron, mithral and stone. These doors were designed to be opened only by a Delzoun, and were both magically sealed and tremendously heavy. The city was adorned with icons to the Morndinsamman (dwarven pantheon) and other dwarven heroes.
- Gauntlgrym fell when orc hordes descended from the Spine of the World. Resettled in 141 DR, the city would be abandoned again in 153 DR due to various lycanthrope thralls who submit under packs of illithid. The illithid would rule over the city until 1357 DR when they would encounter the Company of the Gryphon. 2 They would later lose part of the city to wandering banshee. The Knights of Myth Drannor would uncover Gauntlygrym from the Underdark and Shadowdale. A group of goblinoids called the Hargath would later take over the upper levels which would be spared when the madminds would slaughter the illithids.
The Ghost Dwarves
The Hall of Four Ghosts
The Halls of the Hunting Axe
- The Halls of the Hunting Axe were halls that were part of the dwarven realm of Besilmer before falling into ruin when the realm fell. They were located 48km (30 miles) southeast of the Stone Bridge and were used as a dwarven city, occupied by the Delzoun. The halls were constructed of stone with arched walls, and once contained windows consisting of coloured mosaics. They featured gardens and a moat. As of 1368 DR, the smashed shards of coloured glass were popular for use in making bottles.
- As of 1368 DR the ruins were occupied by doppelgangers and leucrotta, who attack at night.
The House of Stone